Cinderella's Caste

Cinderella's Caste

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Cross-Training: Friend, Foe or Frenemy?

Running is a great full body workout. It obviously is a wonderful source of cardio. Running also works the legs and arms as well as your core. However, to really reach your fitness potential running on its own isn’t exactly the answer. This is where CROSS-TRAINING comes into play.

It’s no secret I am not a fan of lifting weights and would rather go out and run for hours instead of doing a strength training session. That being said, I also know the benefits cross-training can do for not only my running, but also my overall strength and fitness. Cross-training can be my foe, my friend, but usually hangs right around frenemy status for me.

As a competitive cross country runner in both high school and college, I generally did regular cross-training exercises to coincide with my running. I never much cared for it back then either. With so much of my focus on being a competitive athlete as well as no full-time job and other fun adult responsibilities, it was easy to keep my cross-training consistent. Even though I didn’t enjoy it. As I retired from my competitive status into being a runner who runs to stay fit and for “me,” my consistent cross-training regimen really went down the toilet. That’s not to say I didn’t partake in cross-training or strength programs. I did P90X as well as the 30 Day Shred and other core exercise plans. Once I finished P90X I didn’t really keep up with strength training on a regular basis. I also completed the 30 Day Shred, as in doing it the full 30 days, but when it was all said and done I again shifted my focus back to primarily running. I got on a yoga kick for a while. Every now and then I’d start to cross-train again, but it definitely wasn’t a set in stone regimen.

As a creature of organized routine and habit, it’s funny that my cross-training efforts over the past few years lacked consistency. With devoting time and effort to training for longer races as well as working a full-time job and maintaining a family/social life, I honestly found it difficult to work cross-training into my schedule. It was this annoying thing I knew I needed to do, but couldn’t seem to regularly keep up with. This really is just an EXCUSE. Yes, it’s true that it’s hard to fit it in. It’s hard to fit in runs too, but I still manage to because I enjoy it (well most days LOL). What I finally came to realize is that I was expecting too much to soon. I don’t have to do a full program all at once to get in cross-training benefits. Doing so usually bores me and makes me very unmotivated. I don’t have to spend hours lifting either. I don’t have to do it every single day. I just needed to make it part of my routine somehow, someway.

As 2015 rolled in, I came up with some goals to start off the New Year. I am not a New Year’s resolution person, as I choose to focus on goals whenever I want instead. Throughout the year I am constantly adding new goals to motivate myself. However, it just so happens that each new year represents a fresh start, so that’s always a good time to set some new goals. Call it a resolution if you want, the only thing that matters is striving for something and working to accomplish it. Among several things, one of my 2015 goals is to make my good ole frenemy cross-training a priority again. I want to keep up with it on a consistent basis.

Well we are now about a month and a half into 2015 so how am I doing you ask?! As an active person who loves cardio by nature, I’ve found that the circuit training method of cross-training is the most effective for me personally. It also saves time! This really helps me to balance my busy bee life! Depending on the strength/core set I choose, I usually get a solid workout in within 30 to 40 minutes compared to hours and hours. Of course, this means it’s a harder workout overall as there aren’t really any breaks, but that’s what works for ME. I prefer to go all out and get it done, even if means copious amounts of sweat and not much time to catch my breath. Again, I must stress everyone is different and everyone responds to exercise differently. If you are the type that would rather get in two hours at the gym of strength/core training, that’s great. Do what works for YOU!

I do ALL my cross-training workouts at home as well, which again I’ve found to be more effective for ME personally. I’ve never much enjoyed the gym as I find it rather dull. If you are a gym rat that’s awesome for you and I encourage you to keep going! Working out at home also helps me keep up with cross-training because it’s convenient. I’ve been primarily using Jillian Michaels DVDs since she places emphasis on the circuit training method, which I actually enjoy and sometimes even causes cross-training to be bumped from frenemy to friend for me! I rotate 30 Day Shred workouts quite often. The 30 Day Shred workouts utilize the circuit training mix of strength, cardio and abs. There are zero breaks in all three levels of this DVD. Jillian also combines strength/core moves to work multiple body parts, which helps increase calorie burn. For example, instead of doing just bicep curls, which I find redundant and boring, you do them while doing lunges as well! It’s TOUGH but gets the job done!
I haven’t mixed in a whole lot of yoga yet, but plan to increase that since cross-training also requires stretching to be another priority!

I am very proud that I’ve kept up with my cross-training so far. I really hope to stick to this goal as I can already see changes in my strength as well as running! For one, I am much stronger than before. My push-up ability was downright sad before I started cross-training. Push-up are still hard for me but I can now do so much more! My running has been getting faster as of late and I know that’s a direct result of the cross-training. One of my other goals is to focus on some speedier runs instead of just endurance based running. It’s nice to see that these two goals are working together! The foe other than not being my favorite thing with cross-training is I've found that my shins are much sorer than usual. This could be because I prefer more circuit based workouts that involve a lot of jumping. However, as a whole the benefits of that type of workout outweighs the negative, so for now I plan to stick with it!

Cross-training continues to alternate from foe to friend to frenemy status with me, but the benefits make it worth my time. Fellow runners how do you feel about cross-training? What are some things you do in addition to running? Do you have any 2015 goals? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment