Cinderella's Caste

Cinderella's Caste

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Happy National Running Day!

Happy National Running Day everyone!!! I hope all my running friends are celebrating today! As someone who has been involved with running since the third grade, I am so excited that National Running Day exists to celebrate both this amazing sport and community!

2013 WDW Half with the husband!
While running has significantly increased in popularity over the years, it can still often be "the forgotten sport." Ask any cross country or track runner and they will likely agree. Running isn't the glamorous, money making sport like football or basketball. Heck to outsiders watching people run or wondering why they would choose to do so might even come off as "boring" or "crazy." I remember in high school when my school's football team received a parade, yes a PARADE (small towns for the win lol), for winning the state championship. My cross country team also won the state championship and I'm not sure we even got a mention in the school morning announcements. Seriously. We did get recognized at a football game. Because of course lol! My track team also took home a state championship title and we were undefeated that season as well! Again, not much recognition came of it other than an article in the town newspaper. 

I get it. Running like I said isn't the money making sport or the one that brings the spectators. Running is sweaty, messy, repetitive and HARD. When I was younger and competitive I found the lack of recognition a bit grating, but now looking back I realize it makes it all the more special. As a runner, it's almost like we have our own little world. Runners no matter what level all share a connection. We GET each other! Like the saying goes "our sport is your sports punishment." Because running can often be ignored, save for every four years with the Summer Olympics, I think that's why those within the running community are so well-bonded and connected. This spans from the cross country and track runners, to the competitive road racers, and to those of us running for fitness and training to race for fun!

Runcations with my BRF's make running even more fun!
The running community is one I am proud to continue to be involved with. I am very happy that running has become more popular over the years. I also LOVE that more and more people are realizing that they, too, can become a runner. If you finish first or last, you are still a RUNNER. I have been to many races where the person who crosses the line in last place is just as celebrated as the winner. While this isn't always the case, it happens enough to make me proud to be part of this sport. I have participated in other sports, but none have offered the support like the running community does. I have friends I've never even met face to face because of the social media aspect of the running community! 

What are some of my favorite things now about running other than the supportive community? Here are five big ones:

1. It makes me feel good. Even the worst run is better than no run. I always feel better about myself after a run.

2. Running allows me to still enjoy treats like pizza. And ice cream. And popcorn. Well food in general, I guess!

3. Runcations! As I've come to this phase of my life as a runner, I've found that planning vacations around races "runcations" can be a great motivator to keep running. 

4. Run Disney! Did I mention runcations? Run Disney races are the best type of runcations! My Disney addiction and running go together like peanut butter and jelly! Running in my favorite place?! Yes please!

5. Running is the best stress reliever! When I am in my running zone I am able to blow off steam and let the annoyances of the day trickle away.

Run Disney makes running fun! It's not everyday we run as Darth Vader and Maleficent! 

National Running Day is a day when runners nation-wide declare their passion for running. Today's celebration is a wonderful way for seasoned runners to reaffirm their love of the sport, but it's also for beginners to take that first step out the door! If you have always wanted to try running, stop thinking "I can't" and get out there and do it! What perfect way to start your running journey than on National Running Day?! I encourage everyone to get their run on today!

After my first half marathon, 2011 Flying Pig Half! 
How did you or how do you plan to celebrate National Running Day? Why do you run? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me @lilrunner. You can also find regular running updates on my Instagram @lilrunner1485.

And as always, the race bling from running (like my 2014 Glass Slipper Challenge medals here) isn't too shabby either! 

2 comments:

  1. I am a RunDisney fanatic! I love the running community too! Hope to see you at a WDW Race

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Run Disney is highly addictive isn't it? Must be something in the pixie dust! 😃 What is your next Run Disney race? The husband and I will be at WDW in November for Wine and Dine weekend. We are just doing Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K though and not the half. With as fast as that race weekend sold out I'm surprised we both got in that!

      Delete